Saturday, July 14, 2012

Guest Post: Shaina


Hello everyone!  My name is Shaina and I blog over at shadylaneblog.com.  I am so glad to be here today to share a little bit with you about what makes me tick.  I feel that will all the stresses and hardships that life throws at us, it’s easy to get bogged down no matter what our circumstances are.  But each day is a gift and something worth celebrating.



And that is what I try to do on my blog: share inspiration and real life ways to celebrate the everyday.  Mostly because I need the reminders too.  

So today I wanted to share with you 5 practical ways to celebrate the everyday that you can start doing right now.



1.  Be with your loved ones
My husband drives garbage truck, which is a weird schedule and his days start at 3am.  So most days I wake up alone in bed a few hours later.  Because of this, we’ve formed a routine where we talk on the phone every morning when I wake up.  Sometimes just a few minutes to say good morning, but most days this is when we have our heart to heart conversations.  It takes me back to the days when we were dating and had a long distance relationship.  Everything was on the phone, and that’s just become a way we like to communicate.  I look forward to our talks every morning and cherish starting my day being reminded of the love we share.  No matter who our loved ones are, or how we can be together, make it a priority.  Every day is better when it’s shared with someone you love.

2. Keep your camera close
Looking back on my life I realize how important this truly is…taking pictures turns everyday life into art.  Maybe you take a picture of your morning cup of coffee, or the shoes you wore to work, or the tulip that just bloomed.  Intentionally taking pictures of your life will help you to slow down and savor the moments.  And then you can have those memories captured in an image forever.  I used to always have a disposable camera with me growing up…so I have lots of pictures of my friends and moody teenager sky pictures and road trips in my first car.  And then the digital age hit, so I had a little red 5 megapixel point and shoot that lived in my purse.  Classic.  Now I usually have my big DSLR with me, but if not, I use my phone.  Instagram has become my best friend.  It’s easy to use, had lots of fun effects and there is just something magical about the collection of little square images. Taking pictures makes me happy, and having them adds to the joy for days to come.

3. Live a life worth blogging
And I think that everyone’s life is worth blogging…you just need to live in that mindset.  It will make you grateful for what you have, help you see things in a different light, and be open to sharing the things that are celebratory in your life.  Tip number 2 really comes in handy here, because then you’ll have pictures to share too.  My blog has become a mini-reel of all the ways I celebrate the everyday, and has itself become part of the celebration.  And on days that are hard I love to look back and revel in the good things I took the time to notice.

4. Indulging in the things you love
I absolutely love a white chocolate mocha with salted caramel and rice milk.  And when I say love I mean I’m obsessed with.  So I use it as a celebration.  Once a week I plan on getting one, and I look forward to it all week.  It is something really little, and maybe mundane, but because it brings me joy, it’s a very important part of my everyday life. Maybe you love to paint your nails or enjoy a glass of wine. Indulge…its makes everyday feel like a celebration.

5. Write every day
I am a writer and poet.  I started writing in earnest when I was 15 years old, and I have notebooks full of my words and poetry.  These are so precious to me.  Sometimes I go back and read what I’ve written, but mostly I just love knowing that my heart and soul are housed on those pages on my shelf.  In April I started something new…morning pages.  One of my favorite bloggers wrote about this and encouraged others to try, so I did and its become a habit.   I wake up, call Chris and talk and then write in my journal.  I’ve written about my dreams, or about what I’m doing that day, or my goals for my blog, or the things that drive me crazy.  But I write…put pen to paper just like I did when I was 15.  It’s a part of who I am and something I would miss if I didn’t do it every day.  Maybe you could collect quotes you love, or just write one sentence about how you feel, but try it: write every day.  You’ll be glad you did.

I would love for you to join me in celebrating the everyday.  Share your thought in a comment on this post, come read some more guest posts on the topic on my blog, or like my blog on Facebook and follow me on twitter. I’d love to hear your thoughts!
-----------
Thank you so much, Shaina! I really appreciate the lovely post :} 

4 comments:

  1. I loved this! My blog has been such a big encouragement just in that I have a way to remember all the little good things in my life.

    And I love your morning phone calls! That is so sweet. My husband leaves for work before I get up too and he always blesses me on the forehead and tells me he made me coffee. Some days I'm so exhausted that I barely realize what's going on, but I somehow always manage to bless him back. These little routines are what keep us going during some of the harder times.

    Thank you for sharing and for your encouragements!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post. I love your attitude and outlook. I love that you talk to your husband on the phone every morning and document the good things in your life!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Cerri

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is such a cute and lovely and inspiring post. thank you!


    x
    Angie
    sundaybelle.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post! It was so good to meet you, Shaina! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! And thank you for commenting. I read every comment, and they mean the world to me! But if you have a question, please leave an email for me to reach you at, if possible. Or you may find it a bit quicker to reach me directly by email (ziecampbell@gmail.com) or by twitter (@ziedarling).
Have a darling day!
-Zie