Sunday, August 5, 2012

Smashed on Sunday: Alt Journal

Happy Sunday, my little ones! How has your weekend been thus far? Gotten into any fun things? I've been working on box stuff & pretending to pack... hah. I can't believe I'm moving in just 5 days! YIKES. 
Meanwhile, I'm just popping in for a few to share a little something with you all. I have gotten quite a few emails, tweets, comments, etc. all asking why I "Smash" vs. just regular art journaling or even scrapbooking.
Simply, I started Smashing because it was an easier, less frightening approach to what my mom did as we were growing up. I was always overwhelmed by all the rules, and the endless amount of supplies, etc. So last year, I got my first smashbook. & While they are fun, I also like to branch out and do other things as well. Enter: Alt Journaling. 
So recently, I bought this little online journaling class. And while, I watched as it went live, I didn't have time to work at the same speed. I'm super busy lately, so I craft when I can. I also was a little hesitant to take a class, especially online, but I've had a blast so far. & Miss Kara has some really lovely tips.
And here's the intro to the book. I used some tips she talked about & I'm not going quite in order, but I'm having fun. There's like 52 layers on both the cover & this page because I changed my mind about what I wanted wayyyy too many times. But I'm finally getting to a place where I'm happy with it. It's still not done, but I'm almost ready to move on, heh.
And here are a couple of my favorite details. Pretty papers & fabrics & textures. And of course, the glitter letters on the front. I LOVE GLITTER. 
But anyway, this is another way I play with paper & paint & all sorts of goodies :} & It's fun because you can take just any random book or journal you have in your house and make it something interesting.  
But what about you guys? Do any of you alt journal? Or journal in general? 

3 comments:

  1. That's so pretty Zie! Love all the different textures you use. I would love to start with artjournaling. So I think I will give that a try.
    Good luck with moving!

    x Susie
    Even Sweeter Dreams

    ReplyDelete
  2. To be honest I don't really get the difference but it is all so GORGEOUS!

    x
    Angie
    sundaybelle.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did see smash journals at the store yesterday and they have some beautiful prints! I actually tried art journaling for the first time yesterday... and it is a little daunting. But I have sooo many scrapbook papers (for cardmaking, mostly) that I decided to just cut one of those to size, and mod podge it onto my new art journal, so I suppose in that sense it's a bit like what the smash journal pages I saw were like.

    Anyway, I got really excited to read that you were doing this. =) I love glitter and pretty papers. I hope you continue to do this and post about it... I love seeing what other people create! =)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! And thank you for commenting. I read every comment, and they mean the world to me! But if you have a question, please leave an email for me to reach you at, if possible. Or you may find it a bit quicker to reach me directly by email (ziecampbell@gmail.com) or by twitter (@ziedarling).
Have a darling day!
-Zie