Friday, October 25, 2013

Mischief & The Jazz Singer

I've been wanting to explore different styles of illustration recently. My own has evolved so much over the years but I like being able to play with different styles and genres of illustration now and again. 
So the other day I sat down to doodle out something new. I used this fabulous post that continually inspires me as a reference and made myself think of the shapes and forms in a slightly more dimensional way then I normally do with my digital illustrations. 
I tried to be more "painterly" in my process, building colors and such as I would when I paint with watercolor and gouache. It was pretty fun, though a bit difficult. Especially the skin. I love painting digitally because you can undo or start over as you'd like. There's a certain level of stress that is removed with digital painting. It's fun.
 Now this is where I mention that for this specific illustration, I was also testing out this product I stumbled on this weekend,  Mischief.
There's a really helpful review from an artist who started using it, that explains exactly what's going on & some of the pros// cons to the program, so I won't go into detail. But I do know that her review is a tiny bit dated, as the product is now a lot cheaper then it was. 
But anyway, I just loved working at such a detailed level. I especially liked playing with the eyes. I wish there was a way to paint like this on paper, heh. And for the first time probably ever I did tiny little eyebrow hairs, tehe! That sounds like a silly thing to get excited about but it was just so bizarre to add that detail. 
This was just a fun little adventure into a different style of illustration for me & one that I hopefully will be able to visit more frequently. 
What do you think? Do you try different things within your own thing, whether that be illustration, writing, knitting, baking, etc.? 
 photo ziedarlingsign.jpg

2 comments:

  1. Oh God, this is seriously pretty. :) I love the hair and eyes details. :) I wish I can also draw and pain!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! And thank you for commenting. I read every comment, and they mean the world to me! But if you have a question, please leave an email for me to reach you at, if possible. Or you may find it a bit quicker to reach me directly by email (ziecampbell@gmail.com) or by twitter (@ziedarling).
Have a darling day!
-Zie