Saturday, January 4, 2014

Book Review: The Call of Cthulhu by H.P. Lovecraft & a Sleepy Playlist

Sweet Sleepy Saturday, dear ones. I’ve been trying to relax as much as possible before my holiday ends. Next semester is going to be a really tough one & I’m not really excited about that. I know it’ll end up like it usually does, me franticly trying to balance everything. Me not taking care of myself, not sleeping enough, not relaxing enough, not taking enough me-time. Or at least, that’s normally how it goes, but let’s hope that this semester is different. 
I wanted to share the playlist that’s currently on repeat & another H.P. Lovecraft book I’ve finished. Especially for those of you who have a goal for 2014 of reading more. :) 
First up, the playlist: Fever by Beyonce + Stay Away by Charli XCX + Dark Doo Wop by MS MR + and anything and everything by Etta James + Peggy Lee + Billie Holiday + Julie London, I’ll admit there’s a couple odd ones in there. But it’s a lovely mix. 
Cathulu by H.P. Lovecraft: I was quite surprised how small the little book was when it arrived in the mail. I had expected something a little more like the Mountains of Madness. One thing I really liked about this book was that once again, it’s sci-fi classic horror wrapped up in scientific awesomeness. It was a short, easy read & had some wonderful imagery. The story, to me, however, wasn't quite as gripping or exciting as Mountains of Madness until the very end. But, like before, it's really hard to go too much into detail without giving away the entire story. So I'll end with: I liked this book & I recommend it for a quick read. 
What are you reading nowadays, darlings? I'm looking for some more books to add to my lists, so please send me any of your favorites! 

3 comments:

  1. I've never read any Lovecraft...which is an absolute travesty considering I'm a literature student who loves the creepy/gothic/fantasy genres. I really need to pick this up!

    Bella . BELLAETC

    ReplyDelete
  2. I joined Patti Digh's 37days Book Club 2014 http://www.37days.com/2014-book-club and the first pick is "We Need New Names" which I haven't cracked open yet! I'm going to check out your playlist choices... I got a new ipod shuffle for xmas and need to load it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooo!! This sounds like an excellent book!! I will put it down on my list of books to check out!! xo

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! And thank you for commenting. I read every comment, and they mean the world to me! But if you have a question, please leave an email for me to reach you at, if possible. Or you may find it a bit quicker to reach me directly by email (ziecampbell@gmail.com) or by twitter (@ziedarling).
Have a darling day!
-Zie