Tuesday, January 28, 2014

DIY: Fake Flower Tutorial

 Hello, darlings! As everyone is aware, I've been working on projects in my apartment to finish up the place. And while I'm not quite 100% ready to show everything we did so far, I'm ready to share a little project that was really fun to do! Enter: fake flower letters! xo
Fake flowers are in general, just so much fun & probably the silliest thing on the planet. But right now, when Winter is clinging on & being a bitter bum, it's the perfect way to brighten up your space with a little Spring-time cheer!
 You've seen those darling letters & shapes in the craft stores. I have owned a few over the years but just haven't really ever done anything with them. Well, mom found a tutorial on adding flowers to them, and we thought it'd work just as perfect for fake ones!
It's super easy & takes no time at all. So just grab some paper mache shapes or letters, an x-acto, scissors & (not shown here) some kind of wire cutter, and of course fake flowers. We used a bunch of different kinds, mostly from shops like Michael's, Joanne's & the Dollar Store.
 And then of course that icky, green floral support stuffs. I recommend getting that in the block, as the circle ones are just a bit hard to use. I also recommend putting a cloth down or something because when you cut this stuff... it gets everywhere, heh.
Now, carefully take the x-acto and do a stab-y-saw technique all the way around one side of your letter or shape. Careful not to punch through all the way to the back side, but if you do occasionally, it's not the end of the world. That's going against the wall. Once you've got that cut, pop the scraps out & remove the inner structural support bits.
Then, slice up your green stuff with your scissors. And of course, you are all probably so much better at that then I am and have beautifully cut green pieces, unlike my mess, hah.
And then last, cut the flowers with wire cutters (make sure you aren't using your scissors for this part! It'll ruin them!) and start playing around with colors, shapes, textures & sizes of your floral arrangements. And remember, this is for fun & to brighten up your space with some Spring-time happiness, so have fun and don't stress it! And there you have it! Easy, peasy, lemon squeasy. 
I can't wait to show you what exactly I ended up making in my own apartment! What word or words do you think I made? ;) What do you think? A perfect solution to brightening your space and telling Spring to hurry up? xo 

5 comments:

  1. I love this diy!! I saw this floating around Pinterest last year and I made one and it is one of my very favorite things!! It is such a happy pop of color!! I love how yours looks and I can't wait to see what you make!! :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a fun project! I can't wait for you to show everyone how fabulous it turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi :) I'm Iwona and I am a blogger and illustrator :) I just found your blog, which is interesting and cute:) I really like it :) I would like to show you my blog and my illustrations and If you get a second, I' d love to hear your thoughts on topic my illustrations and blog:) I greet:)

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! And thank you for commenting. I read every comment, and they mean the world to me! But if you have a question, please leave an email for me to reach you at, if possible. Or you may find it a bit quicker to reach me directly by email (ziecampbell@gmail.com) or by twitter (@ziedarling).
Have a darling day!
-Zie