Monday, March 17, 2014

Tips for De-Stressing: Put the Planner Away & Monotasking

Hello, darlings! I've missed you all! I'm still trying to bounce back and get in the swing of things. I'm getting close. I'm starting to plan & get excited about new things so there's that :)
Speaking of planning, I wanted to talk with you guys today about one of the most surprisingly helpful things I've done to help me de-stress and feel better: putting away my planner.
If you have been here before, you know how much I love planning & my planner and just all things organized and lovely. And you might be quite shocked by this.  However, I realized that right now, with everything else that's going on in my life, planning to the extent that I was happened to be making things worse. (Which, I found extremely surprising as in the past, keeping super organized and on top of things has been one of the better things to help me.) 
I've instead switched over (temporarily) to planning only one day at a time, almost one hour at a time. I can't think large scale without being near a panic attack, so focusing in and slowing down is really helping.
Which, of course, means I'm having to put my beloved planner away for now, but that's ok. Because I know the very moment I've got this under control I'm going to be reunited with my planner in an explosive and firework-filled display of awesomeness, hah. 
For now, though, I'm using pretty papers (mainly from Rifle, of course) just to write mini-to do lists and highlighting the items I get done rather than crossing them off. I'm not 100% why that seems to be helping, but it does. Maybe that has to do with it being a much prettier option? There's some science in there somewhere, I'm sure.  
Alongside simplifying my plans, monotasking has been a huge relief. I have been, for years, one of those people who thought multitasking was the way to be successful and productive. However, recently, there have been quite a few podcasts, books, videos & articles surfacing around that say otherwise. (The whole thing is worth a good Google search, honestly!) And actually, I find that I'm hugely supportive of the idea. 
It seems and sounds counterintuitive for someone like me at least. If you're only working on one thing at a time, how the heck would that help you get things done faster and more effectively? Because you're putting all of your energy and focus into one thing before moving on and trying to do a million more things, it's actually crazy how much better you can work like this. 
I highly recommend giving it a try or at least looking into the idea a bit more. 
And those few things are some of the most helpful things for de-stressing and keeping that stress off. Slim your focus down and really sink your teeth into one thing at a time. You'll be surprised how much it helps. 
Do you have any tips for focusing and de-stressing? Have you tried monotasking vs. multitasking or have an opinion on either? I'd love to hear your thoughts! xo 

2 comments:

  1. I definitely think that mono tasking and delegating to what is really important is the way to go! Great post.
    Hayley
    Water Painted Dreams xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such good advice. Opening my planner and see all my to do's (especially those that keep getting put off every week) makes me crazy sometimes. It's much better to focus on one thing at a time!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! And thank you for commenting. I read every comment, and they mean the world to me! But if you have a question, please leave an email for me to reach you at, if possible. Or you may find it a bit quicker to reach me directly by email (ziecampbell@gmail.com) or by twitter (@ziedarling).
Have a darling day!
-Zie