Monday, June 30, 2014

How to Feel Glamorous With What You Have

 How to Feel Glamorous With What You Have
GLAMOUR IS ALL ABOUT PERSPECTIVE. You know what you find glamorous. You know that it may be completely different than what I find glamorous or what Vogue might find glamorous. The key thing is that it's finding out what you perceive as glamorous and then surrounding yourself with that, within your own limits and with what you already have. 
For me, that looks like: + black and white stripes (actually, black and white anything), + gold everything, pink aqua and chartreuse, mirrors & white space, + cute or quaint little markets, shops and cafes within walking distance to a darling little apartment with a beautiful balcony that overlooks either the city or a park. 
The first couple are quite easily achieved (hello, Kate Spade!) and I've been slowly, within budget and ability, surrounding myself with those kinds of goodies. 
However, the last two aren't really possible with what I currently have, because as I sit here writing this, I'm on my bed by my average-sized window that lets in only the most inadequate amount of light and boasts of a spectacular view of a pretty tree, some grass and a large parking lot. I can't see Nashville's skyline, nor Centennial or Dragon Park. I can't walk to anything and have to drive at least 10-15 minutes to get anywhere that I remotely find glamorous. (Nashville: please get a better & real public transportation method!) 
Glamour is all about perspective
However, that being said, I love my little home. I don't care that there's a parking lot right outside; I only see the tree and grass. I don't care if my walls have that horrid "spackle" texture; I got to paint them whatever colors I wanted! I don't care as much if I'm not in the heart of downtown life because my apartment is huge (compared with other large cities, at least); with a full-sized kitchen, a bathroom with a large tub, a walk-in closet, a dining-room-converted-office and a cozy balcony. 
What I do not have, and what is actually the most important to me, oddly enough, is lighting. I have the one average-sized window in my bedroom and one sliding glass door in my living room, that leads to the balcony. I'm also tucked in the back of my apartment complex. Which, while a bit quieter and far more attractive then the other parts of the neighborhood, happens to be the darkest, shadiest area in all of Nashville, heh. Which, as you can imagine, for someone like me who thrives on natural lighting, is quite heartbreaking. And of course, there are also no overhead lights in the apartment, save the kitchen and bathroom. So yeah. It's dark. 
But what I do have are lamps. Lots of them. Vintage ones, globe ones, boudoir-esk ones, ice-cream cone ones. And while they still don't provide the kind of lighting I'd like, they do make the place feel cozy and quaint. 
 It all comes back to that perspective, and filling the rest of your life with as much glamorous as you can. I may not have my perfect lighting, but I can easily make up for that with all of the other things that make me feel glamorous. 
So consider and understand what makes you feel glamorous and surround yourself with as much of that as possible, then alter your perception of what you already have. Just remember that it's always good to day dream and have a wishlist for your future, but don't forget to enjoy what you have in the here and now. :) 
What's one thing that makes you feel glamorous darlings? Or one thing you'd recommend to others to try? xo

4 comments:

  1. You're so inspirational Zie!! I seriously luv you!!
    your posts never fail to inspire me!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. My glamour is Portland! I'm inspired by this city daily and I'm so happy to finally be living here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right - it's all about how you look at things. I'm trying to make the most of what I have before I complain these days. It's not always easy but it is so satisfying when I manage it.

    Sorcha x Bright Field Notes

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! And thank you for commenting. I read every comment, and they mean the world to me! But if you have a question, please leave an email for me to reach you at, if possible. Or you may find it a bit quicker to reach me directly by email (ziecampbell@gmail.com) or by twitter (@ziedarling).
Have a darling day!
-Zie