Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Daydreaming & Doodling



I DREAM OF LIVING IN A BIG CITY. I currently live in Nashville, which is quite large by most standards. I love Nashville with my whole heart. It's my home. And while it's currently exactly where I want to be, sometimes I catch myself dreaming of a bigger city. Chicago or New York mainly. I've been in both quite a few times & love them. I have these little ideas of living in a beautiful, brightly lit condo, with a little balcony garden, walking down the block to grab a few things for dinner from the corner market and looking out over the city. 
Where most people find nature scenes to be their ideal, with woods or rolling hills, I find the city to be the most beautiful and calming thing ever. I love how buildings stack against each other and make ever-changing beautiful shadows and the sounds of the city oddly soothe me. I love the idea of being able to walk most places and then taking public transportation to those that are just a bit too far. 
I love strangers more than anything and the idea of the anonymity that comes with being surrounded by millions (literally) is thrilling to me. 
I know, I'm probably an alien & no one seems to love a city like I do. But what about you, my darlings? What are you dreaming of lately? xo 

7 comments:

  1. Cities are amazing! I had a dream of living in NYC but its way too expensive and you live your life on the subway! I moved from Ireland to Manchester, UK. Its the fastest growing city outside of London without the expense of crazy high rent!! If you can, move to a city - such a great experience!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wanted to live in Chicago. Well, until I visited Portland. Now I've been in Portland for a year and it is my favorite place in the world. Portland has the best mix of city and nature. I sold my car when I moved here and now I walk/bike or ride public transit and it is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lately I've been having the same daydreams. I confessed to my husband last week how much I've been dreaming of us just packing up and heading off to London or Paris, or NYC or Chicago.... We are moving to a great area next month, but it's not a city (he works in Detroit and has a long commute right now). We also want a cabin up north or in the mountains. I love to dream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been a city girl. I spent some time in New York City and San Francisco growing up, then went to school in Chicago. I currently live in Los Angeles and while it's a big city, it has a really different feel from the others. More big and wide than big and tall.

    Mountains, forests, and beaches are lovely, but give me a city adventure any day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never been a fan of big cities, they make me anxious! However it would be nice to just walk short distances to get to where you want to go..unlike here where I have to drive 20-40 minutes to get to anywhere "interesting!" Public transportation would be great too, especially since I'm having car troubles right now -___-

    Jessica
    the.pyreflies.org

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always dreamed of living in a large city, probably partly due to the fact that I grew up in such a small, rural town. Luckily, I did have a chance to live in Manhattan for a year, and that was wonderful. I often daydreamed of living in large cities again, but I had my children young and never felt that was the place to raise them. I think you should follow all of your dreams though, even if they would unfortunately take you far away from your Mom.
    I love this illustration too, by the way, and think it would make a lovely print! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was younger, I longed to live in New York City, but the more I visited, the more I hated it. There's too much going on all the time and that's not really my vibe. My dream city is Denver. There's enough of the city-type feel of NYC without being TOO large. Plus, it's in driving distance to the mountains and surrounded by small towns.

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! And thank you for commenting. I read every comment, and they mean the world to me! But if you have a question, please leave an email for me to reach you at, if possible. Or you may find it a bit quicker to reach me directly by email (ziecampbell@gmail.com) or by twitter (@ziedarling).
Have a darling day!
-Zie