Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Techie Tuesday: Adding Text to Your Photos On the Go with Your iPhone

I'M AN ON THE GO KIND OF GAL. I'm also incredibly busy. Which the combination often makes blogging a bit of a challenge, especially with the actual content creation. And since adding text to images (especially square and vertical rectangles for pinterest) has been proven to increase the shareability of your content, I thought I'd show you how I add images to my photos on the go. (This also is a great option to use if you don't have Photoshop or similar programs!) 
  1. First, open Photolettering (free) and select a background color for your text. For the main example, I'll pick white. 
  2. Then pick a font. I paid for a couple of the better options, but for this example, I chose one of the free ones & selected black for the text. 
  3. Then you'll just type out your quote, saying, phrase, blog title, etc. and format it how you'd like. Then save that to your photos. 
  4.  Next we'll open Afterlight ($.99 but totally worth it) and pick our background image. I chose a generic googled image for this, and didn't really edit it. However, here would be where you edit your photo with the different effects, filters, touch-ups, etc. 
  5. Once you get that how you'd like, you'll go to the little button with a crop tool & arrow. Once in that section, the last option should look like a little layer option. Pick that & then chose the text image we created. 
  6. You'll want to move & scale it to your liking, and if you hold down a bit, it'll show you the image under so you can really get the position right. Then hit the little "check". 
  7. For the white background with your photo popping through the text, choose the "screen" option. Hit save & you're ready to go! 
I would recommend playing around quite a bit with this. It took me a little while to find a text-to-background ratio I was happy with. And then, if you choose colors for the background vs. just white or black, you can really start to make some fun goodies! 
What do you think, darlings? Easy enough, right? I have some other ideas for future techie related posts, but if you have anything specific you'd like to know how I do, then please leave it in the comments so I can add it to the list! And please tag me in anything you make with this tutorial using #techietuesdaydarling! <3 



3 comments:

  1. Oooo I love the skyline-pic lettering. Brilliant! Gives the effect of making a clipping mask in Illustrator!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you know of any that are compatible for Android? I don't have an iPhone but these look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love these! Thanks for the instructions and app suggestions! I don't do much photo-editing on my phone (other than Instagram filters) but I'm always impressed by people that do - you can do so much right on your iPhone! I especially love your last example, with the flowers. I'm going to have to try out these apps, I think. You convinced me!

    ReplyDelete

Hello there! And thank you for commenting. I read every comment, and they mean the world to me! But if you have a question, please leave an email for me to reach you at, if possible. Or you may find it a bit quicker to reach me directly by email (ziecampbell@gmail.com) or by twitter (@ziedarling).
Have a darling day!
-Zie